The Blind IT User Support Programme provides training to our blind clients on how to operate computer using keyboard and touch screen devices. It also provides advice and helps clients with low vision on configuring existing in-built settings and tools in the computer and the use of assistive software options for ease of viewing contents on the screen.
The programme was started after noting:-
- extremely limited and inadequate training options for clients with total vision loss to learn the use of computers and be connected to the world
- limited access to adequate advice and knowledge on how to capitalise on the existing technology to let low vision clients see what is on the screen
The training is usually done on a one-to-one basis, a mode of teaching needed by blind clients who cannot see what a teacher is pointing at in a typical classroom setting. The curriculum is conducted in a manner that is suitable for the blind to learn and thereafter apply what they have learnt.
Practical and customised training in the following topics has been offered to clients:-
- Computers running on Windows (various versions) and Mac OS
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Email applications (Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird)
- Webmail (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail)
- Internet, Facebook, Youtube
- Media playing software (Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, VLC Media Player)
- Advanced skills (ripping and burning CDs, System Restore, computer backup)
- iPhones and iPads
- Android phones and tablets
Home visits are made for blind clients who are not mobile and unable to attend training in SAVH.
This programme is supported by volunteers (sighted and visually impaired) who help in technical troubleshooting, training of clients and other general areas of assistance.
Please contact us at 6251 4331 ext 152 for technical support and advice over the phone. You may also send your enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or approach us for advice at the IT Training Room in SAVH.